Anyone reading with a foot phobia, close this article now. Repeat, close now.
Ok, now that the warnings are out of the way, let’s get stuck into the nasty stuff.
A Canadian couple who recently visited the Dominican Republic has returned with a very regrettable souvenier.
And no, we’re not talking about some impossible-to-detangle hair braids.
After going for a barefoot walk along the sand, the couple realised both their feet had become incredibly itchy.
Katie Stephens, 22, and her boyfriend Eddie Zytner, 25, believed they had contracted some nasty beach lice.
However, after returning to their home in Ontario, they quickly realised these were no sand flies.
Zytner’s feet had become swollen and small bumps had begun appearing near his toes and at the top of his feet.
Posting on Facebook, Stephens said her and Zytner “simply thought it was just bug bites and it became worse as each day passed”.
At first tricky to diagnose, doctors in Canada soon realised that the infection was from a parasitic virus similar to that of a previous patient who had recently returned from Thailand.
The couple were prescribed a medicine so potent it is currently unavailable in Canada, forcing Stepehen’s mum to drive to Detroit to pick up their prescription.
Speaking to CTV News, Zytner said: “We want to make it known to more doctors what it is, what to look for and stuff because it took us a few trips to the hospital to find out what it was.”