Venice kicks out 20,000 tourists

No Entry Painted Sign at Street in London

Holidaymakers who had booked a trip to Venice to see the city’s Carnival were faced with an unpredictable situation, they weren’t allowed in.

The city has been grappling with steadily increasing tourists for a number of years, and it seems locals have finally put their foot down.

Punters keen to see the spectacle were barred from entering the city centre to watch the parade, with almost 20,000 faced with geographical restrictions.

The Carnival, which first took place in the 11th century, began festivities on 27 January and hordes of tourists lined up at Festa Venezia to watch the show.

However, police and officials stopped tourists from attending the show, cutting the number down to 11,000 visitors only.

To add to this, Prefect Carlo Boffi has said security groups are now brainstorming how they can reduce the number of visitors hoping to attend the ‘Flight of the Angel’ show on 4 February in San Marco this Sunday.

Locals are also hoping to combat surging tourist numbers in the Piazza San Marco by restricting visitors.

Some are offering a number of 25,000 people maximum in the city centre at all times to take pressure off the square.

Earlier this month, a group of tourists complained to police after receiving a $1,600 bill for three steaks and some fish at a cafe near the city centre.

Speaking to Venice Today, a spokesman for Gruppo 25, a Venice civil rights organisation said of the bill: “This is just the latest case of many of this kind.

“THE YOUNG PEOPLE, WHO ARE UNIVERSITY STUDENTS IN BOLOGNA, MADE A FORMAL DENUNCIATION TO THE LOCAL POLICE STATION AS SOON AS THEY GOT OFF THE TRAIN.”

Other tourists who have visited restaurants in the same area as the cafe, Osteria de Luca, said they left feeling “conned”.

In November of last year, a new law which was to roll out over the next few months will see giant ships officially banned from entering the water in front of the famous St. Marks Square.

The Mayor of Venice, Luigi Brugnaro, said the ban was a huge win for Venetians, and applauded the ban for adhering to residential, tourism and conservationists’ requests.

“WE WANT IT TO BE CLEAR TO UNESCO [THE UNITED NATIONS CULTURAL AGENCY] AND THE WHOLE WORLD THAT WE HAVE A SOLUTION,” BRUGNARO SAID AFTER THE MEETING OF THE GOVERNMENTAL COMMITTEE CHARGED WITH SAVING VENICE.”

Latest News

  • Hotels

Minor Hotels announces a new luxury Anantara on Bali’s Seseh Beach

Minor Hotels has signed an agreement to manage a new-build Anantara resort and branded residences on Seseh Beach in Bali, opening in 2027. The news Anantara Dragon Seseh Bali Resort will be the first luxury beachfront resort on Seseh Beach and the third Anantara Hotels & Resorts property in Bali. The Anantara Dragon Seseh Bali […]

  • Aviation

Solomon Airlines fills Air Vanuatu gap with flights from Port Vila to Auckland

Solomon Islands’ national carrier will commence direct flights between Port Vila and Auckland from 27 May, using Solomon Airlines aircraft to continue air services linking Vanuatu and New Zealand. Solomon Islands officials together with the Vanuatu Government has worked closely with relevant New Zealand authorities to continue interim flights servicing Auckland from Port Vila. This included […]

  • Aviation

Board Air Canada in Sydney’s CBD via a sleek Light Rail

Visitors flocking to Vivid Sydney will glide through the CBD in the newest addition to the Air Canada fleet – a sleek Light Rail tram wrapped in the airline’s unique livery. The Air Canada-themed tram is part of a new marketing campaign designed to put Air Canada in lights during the Vivid Sydney festival (25 […]

  • Cruise
  • News

Carnival Splendor to the rescue of Aussies and Kiwis left stranded in Vanuatu

Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Splendor has come to the aid of a group left stranded in Vanuatu, following the collapse of Air Vanuatu. The group, eight Australians and one New Zealander, were visiting the island of Santo when Air Vanuatu cancelled all flights, leaving them without a way home. Carnival Cruise Line responded by offering […]

  • Hotels

QT Singapore set to open in heritage Eastern Extension Telegraph building

Bookings open today for QT Singapore, in the historic former Eastern Extension Telegraph building along Robinson Road, the first property from QT Hotels & Resorts to open outside Australian and New Zealand. Previously Accor’s So Singapore, then the Hotel Telegraph, QT Singapore will officially launch on September 16 and will feature 134 rooms, ranging in […]

  • Hotels
  • News

Minor Hotels’ Anantara group reimagines the brand as its portfolio surpasses 50 properties

Anantara Hotels & Resorts is marking a significant milestone with a reimagined brand identity as recent openings across Europe, Middle East and Asia have propelled the brand portfolio beyond 50 properties. Part of the Minor Hotels group, the Anantara visual refresh takes an elegant, pared-back approach that enables each hotel’s unique character to shine – […]