The Travel Corporation (TTC) has committed to a new set of sustainability goals based on the United Nation’s Global Goals.
The new initiative How We Tread Right (HWTR) takes the shape of a five-year sustainability strategy with 11 goals aimed at addressing climate change, overtourism and animal welfare.
Alongside the goals, TTC is strengthening its Make Travel Matter (MTM) experiences, which will now be vetted by an assessment tool measuring the impact of each experience and how it addresses the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The component of the tour has to meet criteria associated with the goals to be considered an MTM experience.
TTC plans to put at least one MTM experience on 50 per cent of its trips across more than 40 brands by 2025.
As part of the launch, TTC has enlisted a few of its brand ambassadors, including activist and filmmaker Céline Cousteau, Indigenous storyteller and activist, Sarain Fox and National Geographic photographer Ami Vitale, to share how travel has impacted their lives.
“Our comprehensive How We Tread Right strategy is the progressive commitment to sustainability and the planet that TTC and our travel brands must make right now to achieve our 11 goals and be accountable for our impact,” Brett Tollman, chief executive of TTC, said.
“Never before has our industry been faced with so many challenges, many of which are directly tied to the heavy environmental footprint on the planet. At TTC, we believe that sustainability is critical to the return of our business post-COVID-19.”
Among the 11 HWTR goals is a commitment from the company to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030 or sooner. TTC intends to drawdown its direct emissions through conservation and technology, investing in clean energy, low-emissions transportation and innovation.
TTC’s guided travel and FIT brands, such as Contiki and Trafalgar, have measured the carbon footprint of their trips and will announce rollout plans later in the year.
HWTR has committed to achieving the following by the close of 2025:
- Goal 1: Achieve carbon neutrality by 2030 or sooner.
- Goal 2: Source 50 per cent of our electricity from renewable sources by 2025.
- Goal 3: Reduce food waste by 50 per cent across all hotels and ships by 2025.
- Goal 4: Increase use of local and organic products in our supply chain by 2025.
- Goal 5: Reduce printed brochures by 50 per cent by 2025.
- Goal 6: Eliminate as many unnecessary single-use plastics from our operations and itineraries by 2022.
- Goal 7: Include at least one Make Travel Matter Experience on 50 per cent of all itineraries by 2025.
- Goal 8: Achieve a 20 per cent increase of itineraries visiting developing regions by specialist brands by 2025.
- Goal 9: Increase employee and market sentiment regarding diversity and inclusion across our brands.
- Goal 10: Complete 30,000 volunteer hours by 2025.
- Goal 11: Ensure all wildlife experiences across TTC brands adhere to our Animal Welfare Policy by 2021.