New video footage has surfaced showing Russian-backed rebels rifling through passengers’ luggage at the MH17 crash scene.
A new 17-minute long video has emerged on the one-year anniversary of the Malaysia Airlines MH17 tragedy showing Russian-backed rebels arriving at the scene of the MH17 crash in eastern Ukraine, believing they’d shot down a Ukrainian fighter jet.
The footage – which was reportedly filmed by the rebels themselves and released exclusively by News Corp Australia – allegedly shows the insurgents dismay as they discover the aircraft is a commercial airliner.
It also shows the rebels rifling through the luggage of passengers and crew.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said she was sickened by the footage from the crash scene of the MH17 tragedy that killed 298 crew and passengers, including 38 Australians.
“It is sickening to watch and 12 months on from the downing of MH17 it is deeply concerning that this footage has emerged now,” Bishop told the Nine Network.
“It is certainly consistent the intelligence advice that we received 12 months ago that Malaysian Airlines MH17 had been shot down by a surface-to-air missile in eastern Ukraine,” she said.
Bishop confirmed the federal government has not seen a report on who is responsible for the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 but it is with Australian air safety investigators.
Bishop said Australia had sought the United Nations Security Council’s support in establishing an international criminal tribunal to prosecute those responsible. The Netherlands is working with Malaysia, Australia, Belgium, and Ukraine on the creation of an international tribunal for MH17. Britain also joined calls for the tribunal establishment earlier today.
Yesterday Russian president Vladimir Putin told Netherlands’ prime minister Mark Rutte, whose citizens made the majority of the Malaysian Airlines passengers, that establishing an international tribunal to prosecute those behind the downing of MH17 over rebel-held east Ukraine would be counterproductive.
“Vladimir Putin in detail explained the Russian position regarding the premature and counterproductive nature of an initiative by a number of countries, including the Netherlands, to establish an international tribunal to criminally prosecute individuals responsible for the destruction of the Malaysian airliner,” the Kremlin said ahead of the first anniversary of the disaster.
Meanwhile, relatives of MH17 crash victims have filed a nearly $US900 million ($A1.22 billion) suit against a former leader of Ukrainian insurgents over the downing of the jet in July.
A writ filed in Chicago on Wednesday claimed that Igor Strelkov, a Russian citizen, was acting with the “actual or apparent” authority of Putin’s government when the plane was blown out of the sky.
A memorial service for the 38 Australian citizens and residents who died on board MH17 will be held at Parliament House today to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.