The Victorian health department has confirmed 17-cases of an outbreak of salmonella was potentially linked to high tea at the luxury Langham Hotel, Melbourne.
A spokesman for the health department told the Herald around half of the guests (60 people) from a $79-per person high tea event became sick from food poisoning at The Langham on July 11 and 12, with seven requiring hospitalisation.
It was also reported a 29-year old pregnant woman who attended the Langham’s high tea was forced to deliver her baby five weeks early due to being struck down with the food poisoning.
The spokesperson said results from the hotel’s food samples were still being investigated, Herald stated, adding that there had been no new cases of any food poisoning reported since the outbreak.
Meanwhile, The Langham, Melbourne managing director Ben Sington confirmed the hotel was fully cooperating with the Department of Health and Human Services regarding the investigation of illness of some guests who visited the Aria Bar & Lounge during the weekend of the 11 and 12 of July to determine the origin of this illness and is in contact with guests directly.
“As the safety and well-being of the guests and colleagues are of the highest priority, the hotel has extensive protocols in place to ensure food safety,” The Langham, Melbourne stated.
“The hotel’s Quality and Risk Assessment Manager conducts daily food safety checks of equipment, personnel and processes involved in food preparation. Food is produced in traceable batches and frozen samples are systematically retained. Detailed food preparation logs and samples have been provided to the Environmental Health Officer for further analysis.”
“Our priority is the wellbeing of our guests, colleagues and customers. We will continue to co-operate with the Department of Health and Human Services to the fullest extent.”
“This is a serious matter that we are dealing with factually and responsibly. We have stringent safety protocols in place and we are taking every precaution for this situation from happening again,” the hotel stated.