Cruise

Carnival to face criminal investigation over Ruby Princess deaths

Police have launched a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the docking of Ruby Princess last month.

The NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller launched the investigation to examine the communications, actions, and other circumstances that led to the docking and disembarking of the ship at Sydney Harbour on 19 March according to a statement from NSW Police.

More than 600 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been linked back to the cruise ship and 11 passengers have since died, according to ABC News.

Commissioner Fuller said his initial assessment of the ship’s actions left questions about whether it followed state and biosecurity rules in relation to COVID-19.

“I’ve examined a number of phone calls between NSW Ambulance, Port Authority of NSW and NSW Police that stemmed from the initial 17-minute triple zero call from the ship to NSW Ambulance on 18 March,” the commissioner said.

“There appears to have been an exceptional amount of effort put in by Ports to determine the true nature of the conditions on board – and even delayed the vessels arrival until they were provided additional information.

“After reviewing the information at hand, the only way I can determine whether our national biosecurity laws or our state laws were broken is through a criminal investigation.”

Fuller added that investigators will examine the actions of everyone involved – whether from the cruise company or government agencies.

“This is a complex issue and we will need information from many witnesses to answer all the questions about how this ship ended up docking last month,” he said.

“We are mindful that some of the key information we need will also come from passengers, so I urge those who were on-board to reach out to us – please contact Crime Stoppers as soon as possible.”

The statement said the investigation will involve interviewing thousands of witnesses, including the Ruby Princess’ captain and doctors, the crew and passengers; and staff from various Commonwealth and NSW government offices and agencies.

Police have also been advised that up to 200 of the 1,040 crew members remaining on the ship are displaying symptoms, while 16 have confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Today police announced Ruby Princess will be berthing in Port Kembla for up to 10 days to allow safer access for medical assessments, treatment or emergency extractions of crew.

The ship will also refuel and stock up on provisions required for her home journey.

A spokesperson from Carnival Australia told Travel Weekly the company has seen the police commissioner’s announcement.

“In addition to willingly participating in the investigation, Carnival Australia will vigorously respond to any allegations of which there must now be full disclosure and the basis for them,” the spokesperson said.

Featured image credit: iStock.com/imamember

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

Hotels

Accor to open three more Sebel properties in Australia and New Zealand

If you miss the thrill of hotel inspections while on famils, we promise this article is full of spiffy snaps of hotel rooms to lose yourself in while you procrastinate your Thursday away.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Regent Seven Seas breaks bookings record with 2022/23 Voyage Collection

Need proof that travellers are still keen to cruise? Check out this champagne-popping moment from a luxury cruise line’s collection release.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Go on a safari in Sri Lanka from the comfort of your own couch

Couch potatoes, rejoice! You can take a tour of some of Sri Lanka’s most wild national parks from the comfort of your lounge room.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Women from 10 flights taken for invasive medical examinations in Qatar, says Australia’s Foreign Affairs Minister

More troubling details have emerged over the Qatar airport incident involving a number of Australian women.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Tasmania plans to reopen to NSW from early November

by Christian Fleetwood

Have your NSW clients been yearning for a quarantine-free trip to Tasmania? Well, they can consider this an early Christmas present from Premier Gutwein.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas and Virgin announce new Aussie routes

Tell your clients to pack their bags, because the two airlines have added a range of new local routes, reintroductions and expanded services.

Share

CommentComments

Midweek Interview

Life in the time of COVID-19 with YTL Hotels’ Luke Hurford

We caught up with YTL Hotels’ senior vice president of strategy to find out how he’s been faring during the pandemic. However, it was hard to hear him through the layer of snow he keeps on his face.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

“GREAT SUCCESS”: Kazakhstan cashes in on new Borat film in latest tourism campaign

In some very nice news for Sacha Baron Cohen fans, it looks like Borat’s home country has finally decided to accept him… sort of.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Plane passenger slaps flight attendant after refusing to wear a mask

Just in case you need another reason to hate anti-maskers, have a geeze at this video of an unruly passenger’s shocking behaviour.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Princess Cruises pushes back its pause on local sailings

Meanwhile, Travel Weekly has extended its pause on office drinks after a particularly bad incident involving a pot plant and copious amounts of slivovitz.

Share

CommentComments

Road & Rail

TUNE IN: New TV show to highlight Australia’s ‘Roads Less Travelled’

Get the popcorn ready and watch the client inquiries roll in, because Network 10 is debuting a new show that places domestic travel front and centre.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

Globus and Cosmos launch new Australian and NZ tours

This press release was accompanied by a couple of bottles of wine from the good folk at GFOB, and Travel Weekly’s editor is already on the seocnd one, so please excuse any typos.

Share

CommentComments