Destinations

Bali to reopen to international tourists in September

Indonesia’s famous holiday island is on track to reopen to international tourists next month, according to one of the nation’s federal ministers.

The news comes as Bali officially reopened to domestic tourists – who represent around 60 per cent of the island’s total visitor numbers – on 31 July, as part of its three-step plan to resuming activities.

As outlined by Bali governor Wayan Koster in July, the provincial government is expected to re-evaluate the plan on opening the border for international tourists “by the end of August” for an aimed opening date of 11 September.

These plans have been given a further shot-in-the-arm following comments by Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan.

During an address to the Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club on Monday, Luhut was reportedly asked directly if the 11 September plan was on track.

“Well, yes. I think I heard Australia has a plan to do so [open travel bubbles]. They especially love Bali. We can consider that one. The rest so far, with China, yes we are discussing a travel bubble with China,” Luhut said, as reported by  The Sydney Morning Herald.

“We negotiate with Australia, we will see what happens. I think what they need from us and what we need from them, we have to negotiate on that. Their standards have to be to the standard of here, because no one can claim they are better than others.”

However, even if Indonesia were to change its regulations to allow Australians into the country – as part of an already flagged Indonesia–Australia travel ‘bubble’ – Australia would have to give permission for them to leave the country’s shores.

Australia’s federal Tourism Minister, Simon Birmingham, has on multiple occasions warned Australians the border is likely to remain shut into 2021.

“With our international borders expected to remain closed for the foreseeable future, our priority is getting Australians travelling to other parts of Australia, where it is safe to do so thanks to the successful suppression of COVID-19,” Birmingham said, as reported by the The Australian Financial Review.

“The best thing that can happen for our tourism industry right now, is for people to make bookings and undertake trips within Australia, where it is safe to do so, because this will help save a small business or the job of a fellow Australian.”

Likewise, Luhut said he did not expect Indonesia to open up to tourists en-masse.

“For international tourists, I have to be honest we are not going to open immediately. We have to carefully select the origin [of] tourists coming over to Bali,” he said, as reported by SMH.

“I think Australia, New Zealand maybe later on, China of course, maybe South Korea and Japan. We are thinking about that, we study this carefully day-to-day,”

According to SMH, Lahut predicted plans for travel bubbles with at least some of neighbouring countries would be announced “this month or at the latest next month”.

For those travellers with a case of Bali fatigue, Indonesia is seeking billions of dollars in investment to develop new tourism destinations, to draw tourists further afield.

Travel Weekly has contacted the Visit Indonesia Tourism Office for comment.


Featured image source: iStock/R.M. Nunes

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

Tourism

The Travel Industry Hub creates online community

Are you sick of attending webinars where everyone leaves straight after they end, leaving no chance to network and chat? Well, TTIH is doing something about it.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Brisbane Airport achieves global COVID-safe accreditation

While the health and safety protocols at Brisbane’s quarantine hotels are being questioned, at least the airport’s got it together.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Nail-biting images emerge of youths taking selfies on Sydney hotel ledge

Bloody kids these days and their death-defying selfies. Back in our day, the cameras were so big that we’d be lucky to get one up a staircase, let alone onto the ledge of a building.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

South Australia changes border restrictions for travellers from NSW

by Huntley Mitchell

Finding it hard to follow of all the constantly-changing domestic border restrictions? Travel Weekly has done some of the deciphering for you here.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Royal Caribbean extends cruise suspension, announces US$40m funding pool for agents

Despite what the headline suggests, the cruise group isn’t offering agents to take a dip in a literal pool of cash, much to our disappointment.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

The Travel Corporation’s Aussie CEO to depart as part of major exec changes

Here’s some very big news right here for your Friday, with TTC’s Fiona Dalton set to fly the coop after just three months in the top role.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Indonesian socialite books out entire flight to Bali to avoid COVID-19

The grandson of a pharmaceutical tycoon reckons booking out an entire commercial flight is cheaper than chartering a private jet.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Opening date revealed for W Melbourne

Have you been waiting with bated breath for Marriott to reveal the opening date for its new Melbourne property? Well, you can now rid yourself of all that anxiety.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

CTM boss in legal stoush with Brisbane City Council over $20 million property plan

Jamie Pherous has become entangled in a legal battle with the council over a swimming pool he wants to build at his new property on Brisbane River.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

Get in quick! Trafalgar launches ‘Break Out & Break Free’ sale

It appears 2021 is the year of the sale, with Trafalgar joining the already long list of travel brands spruiking their discounted wares.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Unions take Qantas to High Court over JobKeeper “wage theft”

by Ali Coulton

Having lost on appeal in the Federal Court late last year, the unions are now taking their JobKeeper fight against Qantas to the High Court.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Carnival to ditch 19 ships, as company posts $2.8 billion quarterly loss

Carnival Corporation has added another ship to the pile of vessels that it will offload in order to stay afloat beyond the COVID-19 pandemic.

Share

CommentComments