Travel Agents

Flight Centre makes fifth acquisition in four weeks

Hannah Edensor

Anyone who’s been asking themselves lately, ‘just how many companies can Flight Centre acquire?’ will be repeating themselves again today, after yet another company gets scooped up.

This time, it’s a North American company, more specifically, Quebec City-based travel company, Les Voyages Laurier du Vallon (LDV) in Canada.

It follows on from FC’s sweeping monopoly over the travel landscape, including DMC and hotel management acquisitions, as well as two travel companies in NZ, one corporate and one mobile.

LDV generates about $C100 million in total transaction value, and about $C9.4 million in revenue from its network of leisure, and Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events (MICE) businesses.

Quebec is Canada’s second largest province and a market where until now, Flight Centre was underrepresented in, partly due to challenges posed by complying with local guidelines regarding use of the French language.

“By working with LDV, we will be able to leverage the business’s local expertise, experience and linguistic capabilities to grow our presence in Canada’s second largest market,” Managing Director Skroo Turner said.

“Which is a major corporate hub and home to a large and active leisure travel population.”

Turner said there were also opportunities to capitalise on other synergies and help LDV grow by drawing on Flight Centre’s corporate products, marketing expertise, global supplier relationships and unique product offerings, “which can be distributed through the LDV network”.

Flight Centre will acquire 75 per cent initially, with a rolling put and call option in place for the remaining 25 per cent, to be exercised after July 31 2019.

LDV is a privately owned business with six locations across Quebec City and one in Montreal, employing around 100 people.

The broader ‘Americas’ division is now Flight Centre’s second largest business when it comes to sales, behind only Australia.

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Travel Agents

Big Fat Agent Wrap

by Vanessa Bussoletti

It doesn’t get more jam-packed than this, readers. Unless you count our jam sandwich because that’s overflowing all over our desk.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

“We’re all getting robbed”: Vic tourism hit by scam

by Hannah Edensor

At least nine Victorian tourist attractions have been hit by a credit card scam. We too were busted for buying clothes under our boss’s name but only to avoid buyers shame in the office.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

What can you actually take from hotel rooms?

We could tell you this was an exclusive insight into what you can get away with stealing from hotels, but we’d be lying. We nicked it off an online forum.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

At last, Qantas inflight Wi-Fi takes off

by Hannah Edensor

As 56% of travellers get stoked about Qantas’ inflight Wi-Fi, our concern lies with the other 44% who clearly hate looking at cats on YouTube.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Travel warnings for Gallipoli after terror threats

by Hannah Edensor

New updates on Smart Traveller have upgraded warnings for Turkey with news Anzac Day commemorations could be a target of terror attacks.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

Flavour of the Week

Find out who won new roles & who fell on their swords in this week’s Flavour of the Week. Yes, we added that sword bit for effect.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Cruising for young travellers is finally here

This first of its kind cruise brand had us at ‘Wine & Paint Classes’ because it combines two of our favourite things. Well, one, we hate painting.

Share

CommentComments

Technology

52% of travellers swayed by Facebook photos: study

All of our Facebook friends’ photos inspired us to travel. And by ‘friends’ we mean the public profiles we stalk because we only have 4 friends.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Is your boss the Executive of the Year?

We tried to nominate ourselves for this award, but apparently ignoring the boss and pretending to be your own boss doesn’t actually make you CEO.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

Final week of LAX agent incentive kicks off

We’re re-running this again from Monday (minus the typos). You get déjà vu & we do less work. A win-win, we say.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

A world of special Sunshine Coast Deals

by Vanessa Bussoletti

Visit Sunshine Coast has partnered with Escape Travel to launch a major new campaign offering a wide range of activities […]

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Big Fat Hotel Wrap

by Vanessa Bussoletti

If you read one thing today make sure it’s Travel Weekly’s hotel wrap. Actually, your medication instructions and train timetable probably take priority.

Share

CommentComments