Hotels

The Star pulls Crown merger proposal over Royal Commission “issues”

Huntley Mitchell

Huntley Mitchell

The Star Entertainment Group has withdrawn its proposal to merge with Crown Resorts, citing “issues” raised at Victoria’s Royal Commission into Crown Melbourne as a major factor.

When the offer was initially tabled by The Star in May, chairman John O’Neill claimed that bringing together the two rivals would create an estimated $12 billion ASX-listed national tourism and entertainment giant.

The Star also estimated that a merger with Crown would result in cost synergies of between $150 million and $200 million per annum.

However, The Star’s tune has changed dramatically since then, so much so that the company has now decided to pull its proposal.

“To date, The Star has had limited engagement with Crown on its proposal,” it said in a statement.

“Also, issues raised at Victoria’s Royal Commission into Crown Melbourne have the potential to materially impact the value of Crown, including whether it retains the licence to operate its Melbourne casino or the conditions under which its licence is retained.

“We continue to believe substantial benefits could be unlocked by a merger. However, the uncertainty surrounding Crown is such that The Star is unable to continue at the present time with its proposal in the form as announced on 10 May 2021.

“The Star remains open to exploring potential value-enhancing opportunities with Crown.

The company said it will continue to closely monitor the Victorian Royal Commission and Perth Casino Royal Commission, with final findings expected later this year.

The Star also said it remains focused on its growth initiatives, including the company’s world-class multi-billion-dollar Queen’s Wharf Brisbane integrated resort due to open in late 2022, and its Gold Coast masterplan.

Crown said in a statement that it remains willing to engage with The Star in relation to a potential merger on terms acceptable to both parties.

“The board is committed to maximising value for all Crown shareholders and will carefully consider any proposal that is consistent with this objective,” it said.

“Crown is continuing to implement its reform agenda. Crown will also continue to fully co-operate in relation to the various regulatory processes.”

The Star’s bid for Crown isn’t the first one to fall over, either, with the beleaguered casino giant giving Blackstone’s acquisition proposal the flick in May.


Featured image source: iStock/kokkai


SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

News

“Unfortunately, the world changed”: McGowan suspends WA border reopening indefinitely

The western state will be keeping its borders firmly closed, as Premier Mark McGowan buys more time to bolster citizens against a “flood of the disease”.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Thailand to resume ‘Test & Go’ quarantine waiver from February

Pack your suitcase and ready your sinuses for a holiday in Thailand that promises to greet you with a lovely PCR test.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

AUSSIE FIRST: Accor unveils next gen Mercure Hotels with new Melbourne property

While away your Friday afternoon by perusing through some stunning pictures of Accor’s swanky new-look Mercure in Doncaster.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas threatens to slash cabin crew wages by “almost half” in latest union pay row

by Ali Coulton

The national carrier is once again facing condemnation from unions after applying to scrap its long-haul crew contract in an effort to “push through” a new deal.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Operation nest egg: Air New Zealand helps relocate rare kiwi chicks

The airline is doing gods work by flying these three little cuties to their new home where they were treated to an all-you-can-eat worm buffet.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Say ‘Aloha’ to the Hawaiian Islands and take a trip that gives back

by James Harrison

Check out the beauty, wonder, and excitement of the islands of Hawaii and explore a holiday destination where you can malama.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Crystal Cruises suspends operations as parent company files to windup business

The Hong Kong supercruise operator is winding up operations, leaving the future of its subsidiaries unknown.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Celebrity chef duo Gary Mehigan and Manu Feildel star in new tourism campaign for Japan

The staff at Travel Weekly have been rewatching our favourite anime to reminisce about Japan, but Gary and Manu might appeal to a broader audience than Pokemon reruns.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Aussie tourism took off in December, but remians well below 2019 levels

If these stats are anything to go by, we’ll be back to worrying about overtourism and carbon footprints in no time! Wait…

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

US slaps “do not travel” warning on Australia as Europe tightens border restrictions

The prospect of fewer American tourists milling about at Darling Harbour we can deal with, but if we have to go one more year without a European summer we’re going to go over the deep end.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Union survey reveals transport workers asked to return while COVID positive

Workers who answered the survey, which included passenger transport and aviation workers, are also calling for free RATs. That’s rapid antigen tests, not rodents as we first assumed.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

“This isn’t a label we wish to keep”: Intrepid recertified as world’s largest travel B Corp

The tour operator has gone through another extensive company-wide audit to maintain its title, so why is it looking to pass the baton you may ask? Click here.

Share

CommentComments