Hotels

Crown Resorts rejects Blackstone’s bid, but The Star’s merger offer still in play

Huntley Mitchell

Huntley Mitchell

Crown Resorts has shifted its full attention to The Star Entertainment Group’s big merger offer, after giving Blackstone’s acquisition proposal the flick.

The private equity firm submitted a revised proposal to acquire Crown by way of a scheme of arrangement at an indicative price of $12.35 cash per share – an increase of four per cent compared to the previous indicative offer price.

However, Crown Resorts announced yesterday that the company’s board has unanimously concluded that Blackstone’s revised proposal “undervalues Crown and is not in the best interests of Crown’s shareholders”.

“In coming to this conclusion, the board considered a range of scenarios given the regulatory inquiries in relation to Crown which are underway.

“The board also carefully considered the conditions of the revised proposal, including the regulatory approval conditions.

“Despite Blackstone’s modification of these conditions, the board believes there is significant uncertainty as to the timing and outcome of the regulatory approval processes.

“As a result, the conditions of the revised proposal as currently understood present an unacceptable level of regulatory uncertainty for Crown shareholders.”

In a separate announcement, Crown said it had “not yet formed a view on the merits of the proposal” from The Star, which was put forward last week.

“To facilitate the Crown board’s assessment of the merger proposal, Crown has requested Star to provide certain information to allow the Crown board to better understand various preliminary matters,” the company said.

The Star’s chairman, John O’Neill, claims that bringing together the two rivals would create an estimated $12 billion ASX-listed national tourism and entertainment giant.

In other Crown news, the company has reached an agreement with the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) on several matters regarding the operation of Crown Sydney, after the regulator deemed the new property unsuitable to hold a casino licence.

Crown has agreed to pay a contribution towards the cost of the Bergin Inquiry of $12.5 million, along with an annual Casino Supervisory Levy of $5 million in each of FY2021 and FY2022. The levy from FY2023 is subject to further consultation with the NSW ILGA.

Crown previously announced it has ceased dealing with all junket operators and, as part of a restructure of its international VIP business, the company has closed its overseas offices and intends to operate its international VIP activities out of Australia.

As previously announced, Crown will phase out indoor smoking at its Australian resorts by the end of December 2022. The company is also in discussions with the NSW ILGA about introducing cashless gaming alternatives at Crown Sydney.

“While we recognise we have more work to do, we welcome ILGA’s indication today that Crown’s reform implementation is well-advanced towards suitability to operate gaming at Crown Sydney,” executive chairman Helen Coonan said last Thursday.

“It’s important to know we are well on track, but I have assured the regulator there will be no complacency as we continue to embed the changes to improve our governance and compliance processes across the organisation.”


Featured image source: iStock/robb1037

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

Destinations

WA, South Australia and New Zealand shut out NSW travellers

Sydney’s COVID situation is starting to get dicey, with some very tight restrictions coming into play both near and far.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Virgin announces massive competition encouraging Aussies to get vaccinated

Rumour has it Rex is also mulling an incentive out of fear that anti-vaxxers boycotting both Qantas and Virgin will swarm its flights.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Holland America Line cancels 2021 Aussie cruises

The line is the latest Carnival Corp subsidiary to pull the plug on Aussie cruises for this year.

Share

CommentComments

Events

Have you registered for Travel DAZE 2021? It’s free, but spaces are limited!

While you’ve still got time to register your attendance, we highly recommend doing so ASAP to avoid disappointment!

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Accor partners with IGLTA to promote LGBTQ+ tourism year-round

The hotel giant is extending its Pride Month festivities into a full-time commitment celebrating and supporting the LGBTQ+ community.

Share

CommentComments

Midweek Interview

Life in the time of COVID-19 with W Hotels’ Craig Seaward

This week, the GM of W Sydney showed us how to make “toad in the hole”. We politely declined to eat the monstrosity.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Virgin Australia renews GDS agreement with Sabre, resumes Melbourne services and drops flight sale

We’re spoiling you on Travel Weekly today with a triple treat of news from Virgin.

Share

CommentComments

Technology

Luxury Escapes unveils $200m vaccine incentive to reopen Australia to the world

The online travel company has gone CRAZY BIG with its vaccine incentive in the hope it will help reopen Australia’s international borders.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas boss Alan Joyce the most mentioned CEO in Aussie media (with Jayne and Skroo not far behind)

This CEO list is a little bit on the predictable side, and not just because it’s full of white, middle-aged men.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

AFL legend Kevin Sheedy narrates a ‘Love Letter to Victoria’

Sheeds has shown his tender, caring side with a heartfelt letter to his home state.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

“You never felt alone”: Here’s how this Melbournian agent got through (another) lockdown

by Sponsored by MTA - Mobile Travel Agents

There is a common misconception that home-based agents are cut off from their trade community, but this agent reckons that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

“We have missed Australians so much”: Bali aims for herd immunity and open borders by July

Sellers of silk batiks and Bintang singlets are hurriedly getting their stalls ready, with Bali preparing to reopen to international tourists “within weeks”.

Share

CommentComments