Tourism

STUDY: Travel and tourism critical to Asia Pacific’s economic recovery

New research has revealed the vital contribution travel and tourism will make to the Asia Pacific’s economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The study, conducted by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), shows how the industry played a major role in driving the economy across the region last year.

According to WTTC’s annual Economic Impact Report, the Asia Pacific was the fastest-growing region for travel and tourism in 2019, up 5.5 per cent on the previous year with roughly US$3 trillion ($4.6 trillion) generated towards GDP during the 12-month period.

International visitor spend across APAC totalled US$548 billion ($853 billion), representing 6.6 per cent of the region’s total exports.

The research also found that over the last five years, the APAC region was a world leader in job creation, with travel and tourism creating more than 21 million new roles, equating to 56 per cent of all new jobs globally.

Leisure travel made up the majority of travel and tourism spend in the APAC region (81 per cent), with the remaining 19 per cent being attributed to business travel.

When considering domestic and international spend, the numbers skewed similarly, with domestic visitor spend making up 74 per cent of the total, and international making up 26 per cent.

Gloria Guevara, chief executive and president of the WTTC, said: “Our report underscores how vital travel and tourism will be in powering the recovery of the region’s economy, generating new jobs and driving visitors back to Asia-Pacific; having a positive economic domino effect on suppliers large and small throughout the industry.

“Until then, it is crucial that all governments throughout the region help to protect travel and tourism as the backbone of the regional and global economy, which is currently in a fight for survival.

“Our research shows that up to 75 million jobs globally are at immediate risk, with more than 48 million at risk across the Asia Pacific region alone, highlighting how critically the sector requires support.”

Featured image credit: iStock/RomoloTavani



SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

News

Industry movements: New hires at Intrepid, TravelManagers, Silversea and more

Keep tabs on all the latest movements in the industry, find who you need to shmooze at the next networking event and suss out all the latest gossip right here.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Coral Princess brings cruising back to Newcastle

Cruising has returned to Newy, marking more opportunities for the locals to hang out by the water and wear thongs.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Soneva introduces cryptocurrency payments at its resorts

This new update could mean that other travel companies may soon accept crypto, and then someone may finally buy our Travel Weekly NFT!

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Paul Hogan gets top Tourism Australia honour

Hogan was reportedly quite happy with the award, but quietly disappointed that it wasn’t a knife which he could compare with his larger knife.

Share

CommentComments

Events

Missed the Visit USA Expos? Fear not, we’ve got your biggest questions covered.

by sponsored by Visit USA Australia

No more FOMO! These hot tips will get you in top-tip shape to visit the USA.

Share

CommentComments

News

Jucy to expand rental car fleet with $40m worth of new inventory

Jucy is a vehicle rental operator, not the company that makes those pink velour track pants, in case you were also a bit confused.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas group engineers vote to strike

More than 700 Qantas, Jetstar and Network Aviation’s maintenance engineers are in favour of industrial action over pay negotiations.

Share

CommentComments

Events

NTIA 2022 tickets are on sale!

Industry events are a great opportunity to do some networking, reconnect with friends, and wake up the next day with a crippling hangover and anxiety about what you might have said to your boss.

Share

CommentComments

Events

Virtuoso announces its first tech summit

Meanwhile, Travel Weekly will be attempting our first mountain summit. Though it’s not really a mountain, but a hill near our office we try and avoid if possible.

Share

CommentComments

Tourism

Aussie representatives made their mark at Australia Marketplace North America

Its rumoured that some of the reps spent the whole time warning Americans about drop bears and telling people how to ride a kangaroo.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Tourists stranded as Europe’s rivers continue to drop

Water levels across Europe’s rivers continue to plague cruise operators with reports of marooned boats on the Doubs River.

Share

CommentComments

Hotels

Midweek Interview

Midweek catch-up with Italian hotelier Gaia Quartucci

This week, we sat down with Gaia Quartucci, global sales and marketing director for part of the Small Luxury Hotels of the world group.

Share

CommentComments