MH370 breakthrough: Relatives claim more debris has been found

MH370 breakthrough: Relatives claim more debris has been found

Relatives of passengers who disappeared on Malaysia Airlines MH370 flight claim to have found new pieces of debris from the aircraft.

MH370 went missing on 8 March 2014 with 239 people on board, including six Australians, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

The flight is thought to have changed course shortly after leaving Malaysian airspace, flying for more than six hours with its navigation systems turned off before plunging into the Indian Ocean.

According to SBS, 27 pieces of debris have been found in total from various locations around the world, but just three wing fragments have been confirmed to belong to the aircraft.

The relatives in possession of the piece of debris presented it to Malaysia’s transport minister on Friday.

Calvin Shim, whose wife was a crew member on the doomed plane, told Reuters the group would hand over five pieces of debris that were found off the coast of Madagascar, where some of the wing fragments were found.

Wreck hunter Blaine Gibson, who handed over the debris with the next of kin, said the pieces prove conclusively that the plane broke apart on impact, according to Perth Now.

“The debris proves two things. MH370 crashed violently and it almost certainly is in the Southern Indian Ocean,” he said.

Gibson said the debris has been identified using a fragment of a label still attached as part of the floor panel.

Picture: Geoffrey Thomas

Picture: Geoffrey Thomas

“Don Thompson, one of the Independent Group investigating MH370’s disappearance, found the actual identification label for the Boeing 777,” Gibson said.

In July Malaysian investigators released their final report on the disappearance of the flight, concluding they had not been able to determine the cause of the plane’s disappearance.

However, what they were able to determine was that the plane was manually turned around mid-air, cancelling out speculation that it had been under control of autopilot. The report also concluded that “unlawful interference by a third party” could not be ruled out.

Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad has previously said investigators would consider continuing the search if new clues came to light.

The plane’s disappearance has turned into one of the largest underwater search operations in history, turning up no results besides three wing fragments.

Email the Travel Weekly team at traveldesk@travelweekly.com.au

debris mh370

Latest News

  • Destinations

Half price winter wamers at Sydney’s luxury lodges at  Calabash Bay and Crane

Wild Luxury has released its off-peak rates for winter, with stays at Calabash Bay Lodge and Crane Lodge discounted by almost half price for a limited time. Nightly rates at Wild Luxury’s Palm Beach eco retreat, Crane Lodge, are reduced to $1144 for a seven-night stay (48% off the $2200 nightly regular rack rate) or $1760 per […]

  • Conferences
  • Hotels

Iconic Sofitel Sydney Wentworth showcases conferencing and events ahead of spring opening

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth is showcasing its venue for conferencing and events that will feature as part of the iconic venue’s highly anticipated $60 million relaunch this in September. Among the offerings at the Phillip and Bligh Street precinct are contemporary meeting rooms, more than 15 event and conference spaces and the famous Wentworth Ballroom, where […]

  • Aviation

Board Air Canada in Sydney’s CBD via a sleek Light Rail

Visitors flocking to Vivid Sydney will glide through the CBD in the newest addition to the Air Canada fleet – a sleek Light Rail tram wrapped in the airline’s unique livery. The Air Canada-themed tram is part of a new marketing campaign designed to put Air Canada in lights during the Vivid Sydney festival (25 […]

  • Cruise
  • News

Carnival Splendor to the rescue of Aussies and Kiwis left stranded in Vanuatu

Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Splendor has come to the aid of a group left stranded in Vanuatu, following the collapse of Air Vanuatu. The group, eight Australians and one New Zealander, were visiting the island of Santo when Air Vanuatu cancelled all flights, leaving them without a way home. Carnival Cruise Line responded by offering […]

  • Hotels

QT Singapore set to open in heritage Eastern Extension Telegraph building

Bookings open today for QT Singapore, in the historic former Eastern Extension Telegraph building along Robinson Road, the first property from QT Hotels & Resorts to open outside Australian and New Zealand. Previously Accor’s So Singapore, then the Hotel Telegraph, QT Singapore will officially launch on September 16 and will feature 134 rooms, ranging in […]