Wholesalers

Industry reacts to shock collapse of Tempo Holidays and Bentours

Huntley Mitchell

Huntley Mitchell

The sudden exit of Tempo Holidays and Bentours from the local market has prompted other travel companies to offer support for affected agents and clients.

Yesterday afternoon, the wholesalers issued a joint statement advising the businesses – owned by Cox & Kings in India – had been placed into voluntary administration.

“Tempo Holidays and Bentours (AUS/NZ) have been advised by Cox and Kings (India) that the company have been in recent weeks seeking investors/buyers with heavy interest,” the statement read.

“However, as this has not been materialised, as of today Tempo Holidays and Bentours are unable to continue operating in AUS/NZ.

The Cox & Kings India board is in the process of appointing an official administrator who will then co-ordinate with all the interested parties, according to the statement.

“While today the staff have been dealt with the devastating news, Tempo Holidays and Bentours staff will be working with respective agents/suppliers and clients to assist in next steps once confirmed,” it continued.

“It is understandably a sad day for all staff concerned along with trade. Tempo Holidays and Bentours have been wholesalers within AUS/NZ for over 30 and 40 years respectively, and have experienced great success and growth over recent years.

“We have had the pleasure in providing dream holidays for all of our customers. We are proud and thank all of our passionate and supportive staff for their contribution and dedication over the years.

“We also extend our deepest and sincere gratitude to all of our travel agents and trade partners for their loyalty and their continual support over the years.”

Brett Jardine, managing director of the Council of Australian Tour Operators, told Travel Weekly it was “incredibly disappointing to see this happening to brands that have been part of our industry for such a long time”.

“Our thoughts and best wishes go out to all the staff that are now adversely impacted,” he said.

Hurtigruten cruises booked for travel between October and December 2019 will be affected by the closure of Bentours, Tempo Holidays, and Cox & Kings. However, the company said it will not cancel any agent or client bookings without prior consultation.

Hurtigruten has also created a dedicated response page for enquiries about the Bentours collapse relating to bookings with the cruise company.

“Hurtigruten will work closely with agents and clients to offer travel solutions and alternatives arising from the Bentours, Cox & Kings and Tempo Holidays collapse,” Damian Perry, managing director of Hurtigruten for the Asia-Pacific, said.

Sun Island Tours, which operates in similar destinations and works with similar suppliers as Tempo, said it was committed to helping affected agents and their clients with any fulfilment needs.

“Tempo is a well-respected operator in Australia and we are saddened by this unfortunate news,” Sun Island Tours general manager John Polyviou said.

“We recognise and understand the difficulty the team at Tempo and the affected agents are experiencing, and we are here to help in any way we can.”

Greece and Mediterranean Travel Centre (GMTC) is offering support to agents who have clients with travel plans via Tempo to Greece, Italy, Egypt, Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Israel, Jordan, Europe, and Morocco.

GMTC will also be open this Saturday to support any enquiries.

Halina Kubica, managing director of GMTC, reiterated the importance of booking with an ATAS-accredited operator.

“We are proud to support AFTA’s ATAS scheme and be a CATO member, providing our travel agents and their customers peace of mind,” she said.

“Our priority is the client and ensuring they are delivered the holiday they expect,” she added.

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

One response to “Industry reacts to shock collapse of Tempo Holidays and Bentours”

  1. to set the record straight Tempo was ATAS accredited.
    Most agents would have booked in February/March for their clients October/November / December departures. You need to check your bookings direct with the hotel/supplier FIRST.
    Halina you are insinuating that Tempo was not accredited, they were! Because ATAS pulled the accreditation in August 19 did not assist agents that paid in February 19.
    Stop sprouting book with an ATAS wholesaler – THEY DID!

    Print that!

Leave a Reply

Cruise

Regent Seven Seas breaks bookings record with 2022/23 Voyage Collection

Need proof that travellers are still keen to cruise? Check out this champagne-popping moment from a luxury cruise line’s collection release.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Go on a safari in Sri Lanka from the comfort of your own couch

Couch potatoes, rejoice! You can take a tour of some of Sri Lanka’s most wild national parks from the comfort of your lounge room.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Women from 10 flights taken for invasive medical examinations in Qatar, says Australia’s Foreign Affairs Minister

More troubling details have emerged over the Qatar airport incident involving a number of Australian women.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Tasmania plans to reopen to NSW from early November

by Christian Fleetwood

Have your NSW clients been yearning for a quarantine-free trip to Tasmania? Well, they can consider this an early Christmas present from Premier Gutwein.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas and Virgin announce new Aussie routes

Tell your clients to pack their bags, because the two airlines have added a range of new local routes, reintroductions and expanded services.

Share

CommentComments

Midweek Interview

Life in the time of COVID-19 with YTL Hotels’ Luke Hurford

We caught up with YTL Hotels’ senior vice president of strategy to find out how he’s been faring during the pandemic. However, it was hard to hear him through the layer of snow he keeps on his face.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

“GREAT SUCCESS”: Kazakhstan cashes in on new Borat film in latest tourism campaign

In some very nice news for Sacha Baron Cohen fans, it looks like Borat’s home country has finally decided to accept him… sort of.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Plane passenger slaps flight attendant after refusing to wear a mask

Just in case you need another reason to hate anti-maskers, have a geeze at this video of an unruly passenger’s shocking behaviour.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Princess Cruises pushes back its pause on local sailings

Meanwhile, Travel Weekly has extended its pause on office drinks after a particularly bad incident involving a pot plant and copious amounts of slivovitz.

Share

CommentComments

Road & Rail

TUNE IN: New TV show to highlight Australia’s ‘Roads Less Travelled’

Get the popcorn ready and watch the client inquiries roll in, because Network 10 is debuting a new show that places domestic travel front and centre.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

Globus and Cosmos launch new Australian and NZ tours

This press release was accompanied by a couple of bottles of wine from the good folk at GFOB, and Travel Weekly’s editor is already on the seocnd one, so please excuse any typos.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

“Offensive, grossly inappropriate” vaginal examinations of female plane passengers reported to Australian Federal Police

The federal government is demanding answers from the relevant authorities, after 13 Australian women were forced to undergo invasive medical examinations at an international airport.

Share

CommentComments