Contiki has relaunched its South Pacific offering, introducing 16 new and improved itineraries to keep up with ever-changing needs of millennial travellers.
Group sizes will be smaller, with a maximum of 30 travellers on Australia’s East Coast and 25 in the Northern Territory in a bid to offer more opportunity for immersive local experiences.
Travellers will also spend more time in-destination with the inclusion of more internal flights. Contiki now flies from Darwin to Alice Springs on all Australia trips (saving 14 hours) and from Rotorua to Christchurch in New Zealand on The Kiwi Bucket List trip (saving 11 hours).
Scenic train journeys have also been added to itineraries, with less coach travel time including journeys from Airlie Beach to Cairns, an optional day trip on the iconic Kuranda railway in Cairns and the TranzAlpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth.
Accommodation: New for 2019, Contiki has expanded its offering of Special Stays – travellers will be able to spot kangaroos at an eco-camp in Noosa Everglades on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and sleep within Kakadu National Park in Bush Bungalows. In New Zealand an overnight cruise on Milford Sound in Fiordland National Park has been added as part of the new Kiwi Bucket List trip.
Experiences: Combining active, relaxing and local experiences into the new South Pacific programme means travellers can now choose from at least eight new inclusions and Free Time Add-Ons such as kayaking on Milford Sound, an afternoon on the ‘grassy knoll’ at Bondi Beach, ferry across Sydney Harbour to Watson’s Bay, stand up paddle boarding, yoga and surfing in Byron Bay.
CONTIKI CARES, POWERED BY TREADRIGHT
Contiki Cares is the brand’s commitment to preserving the planet, wildlife and giving back to the communities visited for generations to come.
Contiki has partnered with some new initiatives in Australia to further its Contiki Cares message for travellers to the country including Take 3 for the Sea, a local Bondi organisation to encourage beachgoers to reduce plastic pollution, as well as working with the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary to provide funds to help rehabilitate Australian native animals.
New for 2019 in the Northern Territory, travellers will meet an indigenous couple, Graham and Lynette Kenyon, who own and manage a cultural tour company which invites Contiki travellers to enjoy an authentic, local experience and learn about indigenous culture and heritage with 100% of profits going back to the couple.
16 NEW AND IMPROVED ITINERARIES
Contiki has added six new trips to its 2019 South Pacific programme including three new Australian itineraries (with sailing add-ons) and one New Zealand trip:
- 13-day Eastern Escape (from $226 per day), with internal flights, new experiences such as an optional beer tasting at Stone & Wood brewery and yoga on the beach in Byron Bay, included Sydney Harbour Sunset Cruise, and two nights Special Stay at an eco-camp
- 13-day Eastern Escape + Sailing (from $260 per day) including two nights sailing The Whitsundays
- 14-day Cape to Coast (from $243 per day) including time in Cape Tribulation in Tropical North Queensland, guided walk up to Rainforest lookout & Marrdja Boardwalk, internal flights and Special Stays
- 14-day day Cape to Coast + Sailing (from $274 per day) with two nights sailing The Whitsundays
- Four-day Uluru Explorer (from $205 per day) including Champagne sunset at ‘The Rock’, BBQ breakfast and dinner, and Free Time Add On’s including a scenic flight
- 10-day The Kiwi Bucket List (from $299 per day) ticks off all the big bucket list items and locations across New Zealand with smaller group sizes (max. 30), an overnight cruise on Milford Sound and the opportunity to travel on the TranzAlpine train journey (at additional cost).
10 Australian itineraries (including four with sailing options) have been improved for 2019: 20-day Big Walkabout (from $252 per day) now with four internal flights and more local included experiences; 13-day Beaches & Reefs (from $215 per day) visiting Cairns’ Great Barrier Reef; 8-day Sun Seeker (from $218 per day) now including internal flights and a train from Airlie Beach to Cairns; 14-day Reefs and Rainforests (from $233 per day) with surf lessons, Blue Mountains hiking and two nights at an eco-camp; City to Surf (from $177 per day) spending time in Byron Bay and Bondi, and 8-day Outback Adventure (from $260 per day) exploring Kakadu and the ‘Red Centre’ with two nights in Bush Bungalows.