A chemical reaction at the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park hotel has caused respiratory problems and eye irritations among guests this morning.
According to the ABC, 30 patients were treated at the scene and six were taken to hospital with eye and airway irritation.
A spokesperson for AccorHotels told Travel Weekly the leak was caused when staff were conducting maintenance to the pool on the roof of the property.
“The dosage of the pool chemicals was incorrect, leading to a gas being emitted and entering the adjacent air intake,” the spokesperson said.
“This has resulted in the top 3 floors of the hotel being evacuated.”
Guests on the 22nd floor reported a strange odour at about 9 am.
“They were naturally emanating from the container and they got into the air-handling system and the lift shafts,” NSW Fire and Rescue duty commander Charles Begley told the ABC.
“If you’re exposed directly to them long term, it can be quite serious for your respiratory system.”
One guest told 9 News the smell was very strong.
“I’m sure someone was cleaning something and it got into the air con system,” he said.
9 News also reports witnesses said some guests were being “physically sick” in the street outside the hotel.
“The safety of our guests and employees is paramount and we are working with the authorities to assist those affected by the incident,” the AccorHotel’s spokesperson said.