France reopens MH370 investigation as Malaysian report faces condemnation

France reopens MH370 investigation as Malaysian report faces condemnation

Just a week after Malaysian investigators released their final report on the disappearance of MH370, France has announced it will open a new investigation.

Le Parisien reports the Gendarmerie of Air Transport will open an investigation to re-examine technical data from the global satellite network, Inmarsat which tracked pings from the plane to the Southern Indian Ocean, where the flight is believed to have crashed.

The airline authority wants to “verify the authenticity” of the technical data.

Meanwhile, relatives of those on board MH370 have issued a statement urging the Malaysian government to release all data for review by independent experts after Malaysia’s final report sparked accusations of a coverup.

“We believe that after 4.5 years since MH370 disappeared, there is no reason to continue to withhold data when its probative value far outweighs any prejudicial effect,” Voice370 said in a statement.

The Malaysian report came to no final conclusions of what may have happened to the plane but said there was no evidence the implicate the two pilots deliberately brought it down as previously thought.

MH370 safety investigator-in-charge Kok Soo Chon shows the MH370 safety investigation report booklet to the media after a news conference in Putrajaya, Malaysia July 30, 2018. REUTERS/Sadiq Asyraf

The report instead raised the possibility of an intervention “by a third party”.

Le Parisian reports the French investigators want to start from the beginning, condemning the Malaysian report as “imprecise and ambiguous”.

Gendarmerie of Air Transport claims it is allowed to carry out the investigation because there were four French passengers on board the doomed flight.

MH370 went missing on 8 March 2014 with 239 people on board, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The flight is thought to have changed course shortly after leaving Malaysian airspace, flying for more than six hours with its navigation systems turned off before plunging into the Indian Ocean.

The plane’s disappearance has since turned into one of the largest underwater search operations in history, turning up no results besides three wing fragments.

Latest News

  • Hotels

Minor Hotels announces a new luxury Anantara on Bali’s Seseh Beach

Minor Hotels has signed an agreement to manage a new-build Anantara resort and branded residences on Seseh Beach in Bali, opening in 2027. The news Anantara Dragon Seseh Bali Resort will be the first luxury beachfront resort on Seseh Beach and the third Anantara Hotels & Resorts property in Bali. The Anantara Dragon Seseh Bali […]

  • Aviation

Solomon Airlines fills Air Vanuatu gap with flights from Port Vila to Auckland

Solomon Islands’ national carrier will commence direct flights between Port Vila and Auckland from 27 May, using Solomon Airlines aircraft to continue air services linking Vanuatu and New Zealand. Solomon Islands officials together with the Vanuatu Government has worked closely with relevant New Zealand authorities to continue interim flights servicing Auckland from Port Vila. This included […]

  • Aviation

Board Air Canada in Sydney’s CBD via a sleek Light Rail

Visitors flocking to Vivid Sydney will glide through the CBD in the newest addition to the Air Canada fleet – a sleek Light Rail tram wrapped in the airline’s unique livery. The Air Canada-themed tram is part of a new marketing campaign designed to put Air Canada in lights during the Vivid Sydney festival (25 […]

  • Cruise
  • News

Carnival Splendor to the rescue of Aussies and Kiwis left stranded in Vanuatu

Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Splendor has come to the aid of a group left stranded in Vanuatu, following the collapse of Air Vanuatu. The group, eight Australians and one New Zealander, were visiting the island of Santo when Air Vanuatu cancelled all flights, leaving them without a way home. Carnival Cruise Line responded by offering […]

  • Hotels

QT Singapore set to open in heritage Eastern Extension Telegraph building

Bookings open today for QT Singapore, in the historic former Eastern Extension Telegraph building along Robinson Road, the first property from QT Hotels & Resorts to open outside Australian and New Zealand. Previously Accor’s So Singapore, then the Hotel Telegraph, QT Singapore will officially launch on September 16 and will feature 134 rooms, ranging in […]

  • Hotels
  • News

Minor Hotels’ Anantara group reimagines the brand as its portfolio surpasses 50 properties

Anantara Hotels & Resorts is marking a significant milestone with a reimagined brand identity as recent openings across Europe, Middle East and Asia have propelled the brand portfolio beyond 50 properties. Part of the Minor Hotels group, the Anantara visual refresh takes an elegant, pared-back approach that enables each hotel’s unique character to shine – […]