How good is a double gin on a long flight, right?
Well, good if you’re not 12.
No, we aren’t kidding.
A grandmother from the Gold Coast is now seeking compensation after her grandson was accidentally given alcohol on a Jetstar flight to Bali, according to news.com.au.
Debra Pettigrove said her 12-year-old grandson told her his drink didn’t taste as nice as a lemon squash should on the Brisbane to Denpasar flight six months ago.
And it definitely wasn’t plain lemon squash – it also had two shots of gin in it.
The boy, who has plant allergies, developed hay fever, watering eyes, a headache and sneezing after having a few sips of the (very) alcoholic drink.
His grandmother has since hired Shine Lawyers to represent her against Jetstar, who maintain that it was an unfortunate accident.
“We are in contact with a family after a mix-up of drinks occurred on a flight six months ago which resulted in a child having a few sips of an adult customer’s drink,” a Jetstar spokesperson told AAP.
“There was never any mention of the boy feeling unwell on the flight so we’re surprised by the claims now being made by Ms Pettigrove and her lawyers.”
The dreaded mix-up occurred when two drinks were taken back to the galley so they wouldn’t spill during some turbulence.
Once they returned, the adult passenger (who apparently has no taste buds) confirmed that the drink he was handed was his after tasting it.
The other, assumed non-alcoholic drink, was given to the 12-year-old, who was subsequently given a new drink after cabin crew were made aware of the gin mishap.
Jetstar has already offered $400 in flight vouchers to the family as compensation, but according to documents given to AAP by Shine Lawyers, Pettigrove wants more – for Jetstar to “at least offer a full trip somewhere to supplement such a horrific experience” to be exact.
The firm said that no claims have been filed, nor have any court proceedings commenced at this time.