We all know that travel insurance is a must for any trip, however long or short.
But it’s not really that simple.
We hope you never have to make the call, but in case you do there are a few things to remember.
…Okay, okay. Enough begging! We’ll let you in on the secret.
According to Mozo.com.au and Fast Cover, there are Six Golden Rules of travel insurance that’ll help you squeeze out of all, or at least most, sticky situations:
1. Read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)
- …So you know how to obtain relevant proof of what’s happened tailored to your insurer, e.g. some companies require you make an official report of an incident within 24 hours.
- Basic travel insurance is just that, it covers the basics – it insures for the most common travel mishaps, but perhaps not the more obscure or ‘unlucky’ scenarios
2. Photograph valuable items before you depart
- …This is helpful when making a claim in the unfortunate event of lost luggage (God forbid!)
3. Call your insurer immediately after an incident
- …The sooner, the better! At this point, they can give you vital advice on the right procedures and information needed to make a claim
4. Keep all records relating to your claim
- …And make sure you translate anything required into English!
5. Claim any loss from the responsible party first
- …Your travel insurer can make up the difference
6. Claim as soon as you return
- …A late claim means more time to lose documents and forget details, and you’ve already lost something – don’t make it harder for yourself!
Featured Image: “Lost Luggage” t-shirt design by Matt Leyen/laughingsquid.com