A teenager in the UK is suing TUI Travel for just shy of $1 million, claiming food poisoning at a resort in Egypt caused damage to his kidneys.
Marshal Brunt, a 19-year-old from Hemel Hempstead in England, has alleged that he received “irreversible” damage to both of his kidneys after getting food poisoning at five-star Egyptian resort, Jaz Aquamarine, according to Metro.
Brunt stayed at the resort when he was 15 in October 2016 for a week-long holiday with his family, but reportedly had to be flown out in an air ambulance.
The teenager’s lawyers said he needed 38 days of dialysis and suffered “severe neurological complications” including a seizure and temporary loss of vision as a result of exposure to Shiga Toxin bacteria (STEC).
They said medics predict his “life-changing illness” will likely develop into chronic kidney disease and that he may need a transplant.
Brunt told Metro he suspects the food poisoning was a result of undercooked burgers and chicken that he ate during the first three days of his holiday.
He alleges the resort staff failed to ensure the food and drink they served him was safe for consumption and is asking TUI for £500,000 ($954,131) in compensation.
Brunt’s barrister, Robert Hunter, said in a claim paper that if the boy’s illness wasn’t caused by food served by the resort, then he must have picked it up at one of the resort’s 18 swimming pools.
Hunter said Brunt’s illness was the kind that “cannot normally happen without negligence on the part of the defendant or its suppliers or servants”.
“The “instrument” that caused the illness, loss and damage, namely the resort and its kitchen, alternatively the resort and its swimming pool, was at all times in the management and control of the defendant and its suppliers,” Hunter said, according to Metro.
However, according to The Sun, the travel company accepts Brunt was hospitalised while he was on holiday, but plans to dispute that his illness was caused by food poisoning, as well as the extent of his injuries and how much compensation he can claim.
TUI’s barrister, David Boyle has denied that the company or the resort operators were negligent, and said the company will call evidence from microbiology, public health, psychiatry and renal disease experts.
“We are very sorry to hear of Mr Brunt’s experience. As this is now a legal matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” a spokesperson for TUI told The Sun.
“We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”
Travel Weekly has contacted TUI for comment.
Featured image source: jazhotels.com