Star Entertainment Group’s revised proposal for a six-star hotel in the inner-city suburb of Pyrmont has been given the green light by the NSW government.
The company originally planned to build a 220-room Ritz-Carlton hotel that would have cost roughly $530 million to build.
However, it was forced to go back to the drawing board after the proposal was rejected by the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment in July last year on the grounds that it was “overly obtrusive”.
Star Entertainment Group’s revised submission for a six-star, 110-metre hotel-only tower on the northern end of the site – less than half the height of the originally proposed 237-metre The Ritz-Carlton hotel and apartments tower – was officially announced as part of Pyrmont’s final Pyrmont Peninsula Place Strategy on Friday.
“We’ve listened to community and business feedback and have adapted the plan so that Pyrmont remains a prosperous and unique part of Sydney,” NSW Minister for Planning and Public Spaces Rob Stokes said.
“Striking a balance in planning is never easy and the unique geography and history of Pyrmont’s settlement pattern provided a particular challenge.
“Our fundamental task was to encourage economic development while enlivening the peninsula, boosting jobs and providing for more quality public open spaces for everyone to enjoy.”
Star Entertainment Group’s second tower on the southern end of the site has also been reduced in size from the initially proposed height of 180 metres to 140 metres.
It’s been speculated that the site will become a 4.5-star Dorset Hotel. However, a spokesperson for the group said it was yet to confirm which hotel brand will be featured.
“Our proposed developments, subject to planning, could deliver two hotels and create around 2,000 jobs, while also establishing new dining precincts to be enjoyed by both locals and visitors,” the spokesperson said in a statement to Travel Weekly.
“It’s a potential investment of $1 billion that showcases our commitment to helping Sydney get back on its feet and build the Pyrmont of the future.”
“We look forward to continued government engagement with the aim of delivering their vision for the area.”
Tourism Accommodation Australia (TAA) New South Wales CEO Michael Johnson said the industry body was happy to see the Ritz-Carlton hotel approved under the revised Pyrmont plan.
“This will not only give the city of Sydney a new world-renowned Ritz-Carlton hotel for visitors once borders reopen again, but it will also create many jobs needed for NSW as part of the state’s COVID recovery plan, so it really is a win-win,” he said.
“TAA NSW is supportive of the Pyrmont Place Strategy and the revitalisation project, which will now be further enhanced with the announcement of the six-star hotel’s inclusion.”
Featured image source: iStock/tommy