Destinations

South Korea declares end to MERS outbreak

AFP

South Korea has declared the effective end to a deadly outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) that killed 36 people, triggered widespread panic and stymied growth in Asia’s fourth-largest economy.

Addressing a meeting of government officials in Seoul, Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-Ahn said the danger posed by what was the biggest outbreak of the virus outside Saudi Arabia was over.

“After weighing various circumstances, the medical personnel and the government judge that the people can now be free from worry,” Hwang said.

“I ask the public to shake off all concerns over MERS and to resume normal daily activities, including economic, cultural, leisure and school activities,” he added.

Thousands of schools were closed at the peak of the outbreak, as anxious parents kept their children home.

The outbreak took a heavy toll on the national economy, stifling consumer spending and devastating the tourist sector.

Tourism was hit particularly hard, with the number of foreign visitors plunging by more than 40 percent in June compared to a year ago, and a further 60 percent in the first two weeks of July.

Seoul plans to spend up to 30 billion won on campaigns to lure back travellers, including free promotional tours and large concerts by big-name K-pop stars.

Local businesses including shopping malls, restaurants and cinemas reported a sharp drop in sales as people shunned public venues with large crowds.

The government recently announced a 22 trillion won($A25.8 billion) stimulus package, much of which was aimed at supporting businesses hurt by the MERS crisis.

Earlier this month, the Bank of Korea (BOK) cut its 2015 economic growth forecast for the third time this year, from 3.1 per cent growth to 2.8 per cent.

Citing sluggish exports and weak domestic consumption – exacerbated by the MERS outbreak – the central bank has kept its benchmark interest rate unchanged at a record low of 1.5 per cent.

The virus is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed hundreds of people when it appeared in Asia in 2003.

Criticised for its initial response to the outbreak, the government introduced sweeping quarantine measures that saw nearly 17,000 people confined to their homes.

With one patient still undergoing treatment in hospital, Tuesday’s announcement by the prime minister stopped short of formally declaring South Korea MERS free.

World Health Organisation standards call for a four-week waiting period after the last MERS patient fully recovers, before declaring the outbreak definitively over.

SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Leave a Reply

Destinations

ScoMo reveals fresh candidates for expanded travel ‘bubble’, including some Chinese provinces

by Ali Coulton

With two-way trans-Tasman travel off the cards for the foreseeable future, Australia’s PM has revealed a few north Asian candidates for an expanded ‘bubble’.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Muslim influencer claims she was kicked off flight because “entitled white man” felt uncomfortable

The influencer said she was removed from a flight following an altercation with a man whose behaviour she claims would have seen her, a veiled Muslim woman, detained.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

Australia’s small business ombudsman says travel agent support package is “a matter of urgency”

The calls for ScoMo to get off his backside and announce the lifeline agents so badly need have grown even louder and slightly terser.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Berlin’s new airport opens nearly a decade late and $6.5 billion over budget

You know what they say: better late than never. Well, that’s what we assume the masterminds behind this new airport have been telling themselves for the past eight years.

Share

CommentComments

Events

Tourism Australia’s marketing team recognised with prestigious award

While it’s been a tough year for Australia’s tourism industry, its lead organisation had something to celebrate about on Friday night.

Share

CommentComments

Cruise

Carnival-owned cruise lines suspend select sailings until November 2021

Another day, another cruise pause update from your trusty buddies at Travel Weekly. You can thank us by sending cupcakes and a bottle of vodka.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin ramp up operations in response to NSW-Victoria border reopening

Those living in Mascot and Tullamarine can expect a bit more overhead noise from now on, with Aussie carriers getting busy again between the two states.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

Helloworld acquires cruise wholesaler, renews deal with Qantas

Despite Andrew Burnes not being very smiley in the accompanying photo, you can bet these two very big announcements will have him grinning from ear to ear.

Share

CommentComments

Travel Agents

TravelManagers agent books first Crooked Compass $9,000 lunch

Have you got any high-end clients looking to throw almost $10K at a fancy lunch? Read on and you may just become the second agent to sell one of these luxe trips.

Share

CommentComments

Wholesalers

Trafalgar launches new competition to reward local heroes

Got a hero in your neighbourhood who deserves a holiday? Trafalgar is giving you the chance to reward them handsomely.

Share

CommentComments

Aviation

New airline to charge for toilet paper, ditch life jackets and host COVID-friendly flights

by Ali Coulton

This airline is so low-cost that it is leading people to believe it is a parody of Iceland’s now-defunct WOW Air, particularly because of the strange character holding the reins.

Share

CommentComments

Destinations

Solomon Islands’ tourism board urges government to reconsider planned Facebook ban

The destination’s government ministers appear to have rocks in their heads, judging by this ridiculous plan.

Share

CommentComments