Excuse us but we interrupt your regular pretending-to-do-work-on-a-Friday routine to bring you this very important piece of information.
Newly released data from TripAdvisor has revealed the fastest growing travel category in terms of booking growth is food experiences.
That’s right, food tourism has eclipsed all other travel activities because the world has come to the realisation that food is great.
Food tours are the fastest growing experiences category on the travel booking site based on traveller spend, which increased a whopping 61 per cent last year versus 2016.
The countries with the highest levels of booking growth include Canada (594 per cent), the UK (583 per cent), and Australia (489 per cent).
Of course, Aussies are among the countries leading the way.
We have enough food enthusiasm in the Travel Weekly office alone to cover the rest of you guys.
Using booking data, TripAdvisor identified the top ten food cities in the world, with food meccas Rome and Florence capturing the top two spots on the list respectively, and Paris rounding out the top three.
TripAdvisor also identified foodie destinations to watch–Quebec City topped the list, and two Australian destinations (Sydney and Brisbane) ranked in the top ten.
Anyway, here’s the top ten because we know you guys are hungry for more details. Pun intended.
1. Rome, most booked experience: Rome Food Tour by Sunset around Prati District
2. Florence, most booked experience: Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan Farmhouse with Local Market Tour from Florence
3. Paris, most booked experience: Paris Food Tour: Taste of Montmartre
4. Barcelona, most booked experience: Interactive Spanish Cooking Experience in Barcelona
5. New Orleans, most booked experience: New Orleans Food Walking Tour of the French Quarter
6. New York City, most booked experience: Best of Brooklyn Half-Day Food and Culture Tour
7. Venice, most booked experience: Venice Food Tour: Cicchetti and Wine
8. Madrid, most booked experience: Madrid Tapas and Wine Tasting Tour
9. Tokyo, most booked experience: Tokyo by Night: Japanese Food Tour
10. Bangkok, most booked experience: Bangkok Food Tour