The home of The Big Banana, ancient rainforest and beautiful beaches has come up trumps in WOTIF.com’s list of the top Australian destinations for travellers in 2020.
New South Wales town Coffs Harbour was joined in the top 10 list by Batemans Bay in fourth place and Katoomba in eighth – giving the state the most places of any state or territory in Australia.
The win has been a sure sign of recognition of NSW, a state that recently battled a catastrophic bushfire season.
Beyond WOTIF’s top towns of the year, there are many incredible destinations throughout the state to visit in 2020, with some of Destination NSW’s most highly recommended destinations –along with their recommended attractions – including the following:
- Coffs Harbour – home of ‘The Big Banana’
- Batemans Bay – eat at Clyde River Oysters
- Katoomba – visit The Three Sisters
- Lithgow – explore The State Mine Heritage Park
- Kangaroo Valley – marvel at The Pioneer Village Museum
- Mittagong – say ‘cheers’ at The Fitzroy Inn
- Goulburn – say ‘cheese’ at The Big Merino
- Coolamon –learn about the history of The Up-To-Date-Store
- Wentworth – sail with The PS Ruby Steamboat, and
- Gunnedah – learn about the inspiration for Dorothea Mackellar’s poem My Country.
Now in recovery mode, Destination NSW and the NSW Government are urging travellers to join the #LoveNSW movement.
To contribute, travellers can take a recovery weekend in NSW, make a heart shape with your hands or get creative with a heart shape in other ways in social media posts.
Travellers can also help by raising awareness of the state by posting with the following hashtags: #RecoveryWeekend, #HolidayHereThisYear, #BuyRegional, #Spendwiththem, #emptyesky, #buyfromthebush, or #stayinthebush.
Featured image: Aerial View of Park beach and Coffs Harbour Marina (iStock.com/Shanenk)