Eager to get away from the cold? If you’re looking for a winter vacation, look no further. Latin America has some of the best island destinations you can think of:
- Cozumel, Mexico. Featuring pristine turquoise beachers, snorkelers and scuba divers will rejoice in this island off the coast of Quintana Roo. Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park and Chankanaab eco park are home to diverse marine wildlife that includes dolphins, manatees and sea turtles. Cozumel also features numerous underwater caverns, pristine coral reef and the Museo Subacuatico de Arte’s submerged sculptures.
- Easter Island, Chile. If you’re more of a culture fan, this remote volcanic island in Polynesia is famous for its archaeological sites. 900 monumental statues created by its Rapa Nui inhabitants stand tall throughout the island.
- Fernando de Noronha, Brazil. This volcanic archipelago off Brazil’s northeast coast is home to a protected national marine park and ecological sanctuary. Sea turtles, rays, dolphins and sharks swim in its warm, clean water.
- Galapagos Islands, Ecuador. On the Pacific side of the continent, Galapagos is considered one of the world’s best destinations for wildlife-viewing. In fact, the islands inspired Darwin’s theory of evolution. “The Galapagos are a great place for spotting wildlife. Expect to see blue-footed boobies, giant tortoises and red marine iguanas as part of your journey”, says Ted Dziadkiewicz, founder of Contours Travel.
- Ambergis Caye, Belize. Belize’s largest island features some of the world’s best dive sites: The Hol Chan Marine Reserve and the Great Blue Hole; a submarine sinkhole 124 meter deep and 300 meters wide that was formed during several episodes of glaciation thousands of years ago. It is considered a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO.
Do you really need more inspiration?
Contours Travel is the longest running Latin American operator in Australia. It has 40 years of experience designing tailor-made, small group itineraries and special interest tours throughout the region. See more at: http://www.contourstravel.com.au