Have you begun the new year feeling out of touch with the latest cruise news? Never fear, Travel Weekly’s Cruise Wrap is here!
Silversea unveils refurbished Silver Shadow + bonus savings for wave season 2020
The latest Silversea ship to undergo an extensive refurbishment, Silver Shadow recently emerged from the dry dock with redesigned interior spaces and an elegant new livery—the first time the two-tone design has been employed in Silversea’s history.
Moreover, another first for the leading ultra-luxury cruise line, decorative crystal artworks from renowned lifestyle brand Lalique have been installed in Silver Shadow’s La Dame Restaurant to enrich the dining experience for guests.
Meanwhile, Silversea Cruises is offering guests a saving of up to $1,000 per suite when booked by 28 February 2020. The new Bonus Savings offer is available on 144 sailings in 2020/21, encompassing all seven continents.
Combinable with Silversea’s Early Booking Bonus and air offers, the new Bonus Savings offer provides guests with the perfect opportunity to discover Silversea’s itineraries, including luxury cruises to the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, both polar regions and hundreds of fascinating destinations in between.
Last chance to ‘See the World with Scenic’ in 2020
Scenic invites you to ‘See the World’ in 2020 with a range of great value offers. Travel with us across more than 60 countries and every continent on Earth with our range of all-inclusive luxury river cruising in Europe and South East Asia, ultra-luxury ocean cruising with Scenic Eclipse, and our range of stunning handcrafted land journeys.
On sale until 31 March 2020 (unless sold out).
Many special offers are available on a range of Scenic’s worldwide destinations and products, including river cruises in Europe and Asia; land tours in, Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Alaska and the US, as well as on Scenic Eclipse* sailings across the globe.
Crystal Endeavor rolled out at MV Werften in Stralsund, Germany
On Saturday, December 21st Crystal Endeavor rolled out of MV Werften in Stralsund, Germany touching water for the first time in the most recent milestone for the polar class expedition vessel.
The latest addition to the Crystal fleet, the German-built Crystal Endeavor will embark on her maiden journey from Tokyo on August 10, 2020.
The 20,000-GRT PC-6 expedition ship will accommodate just 200 guests with elegantly casual, generous public spaces designed to showcase the outside scenery; all-suite, all-verandah, butler-serviced guest rooms; Michelin-inspired dining options with six dining venues including Master Chef Nobu Matsuhisa’s Umi Uma & Sushi Bar; full-service Crystal Life Salon & Spa and a state-of-the-art Fitness Centre.
Expedition-specific amenities and spaces will enhance guests’ experience, including enrichment areas, designated mud rooms and a helicopter lounge. A seven-guest submersible will also be on board, allowing for deep-water explorations up to 980 feet in select areas of the world.
Carnival debuts new LNG powered ship + reports fourth quarter and full-year earnings
Today’s first call at the port of Savona marks the official entry into service of Costa Smeralda, Costa Cruises’ new flagship powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG), a low impact fossil fuel that constitutes an environmental breakthrough for the entire cruise industry.
Costa Smeralda is the first ship in the Costa fleet to be powered both in port and at sea by LNG, meaning improved air quality and protecting the environment with the virtual elimination of sulphur dioxide emissions (zero emissions) and particulate matter (95 to 100 per cent reduction). The use of LNG will also greatly lessen emissions of nitrogen oxides (an 85 per cent direct reduction) and CO2 (a reduction of up to 20 per cent).
Meanwhile, Carnival Corporation and plc announced financial results for the full year and fourth quarter ending November 30 2019.
Full Year 2019
- U.S. GAAP net income of $3.0 billion, or $4.32 diluted EPS, for the full year 2019, compared to U.S. GAAP net income for the full year 2018 of $3.2 billion, or $4.44 diluted EPS.
- Record full-year 2019 adjusted net income of $3.0 billion, or $4.40 adjusted EPS, compared to adjusted net income of $3.0 billion, or $4.26 adjusted EPS, for the full year 2018.
- Adjusted net income excludes net charges of $52 million for the full year 2019 and net gains of $123 million for the full year 2018.
- Record total revenues for the full year 2019 were $20.8 billion, higher than $18.9 billion for the full year 2018.
- Gross cruise revenues of $20.4 billion, higher than $18.6 billion for the prior year.
- In constant currency, net cruise revenues of $16.0 billion, higher than $15.4 billion for the prior year, an increase of 4.0 per cent.
Fourth Quarter 2019
- U.S. GAAP net income of $423 million, or $0.61 diluted EPS, for the fourth quarter of 2019, compared to U.S. GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of 2018 of $494 million, or $0.71 diluted EPS.
- Fourth-quarter 2019 adjusted net income of $427 million, or $0.62 adjusted EPS, compared to adjusted net income of $492 million, or $0.70 adjusted EPS, for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Adjusted net income excludes net charges of $5 million for the fourth quarter of 2019 and net gains of $2 million for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Record total revenues for the fourth quarter of 2019 were $4.8 billion, higher than $4.5 billion for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Gross cruise revenues of $4.7 billion for the fourth quarter of 2019, higher than $4.4 billion for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- In constant currency, net cruise revenues of $3.7 billion compared to $3.7 billion for the fourth quarter of 2018, an increase of 0.5 per cent.
Hurtigruten’s once-in-lifetime 2021 Antarctica Solar Eclipse itineraries
In December 2021, Hurtigruten will offer guests the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to possibly experience the solar eclipse from one of two expedition ships.
The 2021 eclipse on 4 December will only be visible from Antarctica and it will be 75 years before a similar opportunity presents itself.
Solar eclipse experts will supplement Hurtigruten’s already extensive onboard Expedition Teams of scientific experts in areas such as marine biology, sustainability, history, glaciology, oceanography and photography.
Hurtigruten’s experts offer a program of lectures and insights and explanations relevant to each expedition.
The central point of all these activities is the Science Center, where guests can also participate in citizen science projects.
The luxury cruise line will offer destination guides written by locals
In a cruise industry first, Cunard has joined forces with ‘Cool Cousin’, a travel technology company that provides off-the-beaten-track recommendations from locals in each port.
The 200 destination guides can be downloaded 15 days before setting off, perfect for those keen to start planning and maximise their shore experience.
As experts, ‘Cool Cousin’ are local residents who make informed recommendations on what to do and where from the best restaurants and hidden gems to city landmarks. Art enthusiasts can look forward to exploring little-known galleries, coffee lovers can sample delicious beans in locally-loved cafes, and fashion junkies can discover rare labels in hidden boutiques.
North American Splendour with ecruising
In August 2020, your clients can travel North America with ecruising’s 24-night CRUISE TOUR: Classic Canada & New England journey.
Comprising a 12-night round-trip Small-Group Insider Tour from New York through spectacular American and Canadian landscapes steeped in history, followed by a 10-night voyage to Quebec up the Atlantic coast onboard Caribbean Princess, this itinerary is guaranteed to leave your clients with unforgettable memories that will last a lifetime.
Explore the Arctic with Quark in 2021
Clients looking to book their Arctic 2021 expedition will be awestruck by Quark’s exciting new helicopter-based adventure options and the first official season of our highly anticipated new ship, Ultramarine.
NEW reasons to explore with Quark Expeditions:
- Our NEW expedition vessel, Ultramarine, joins us as the star of this Arctic season, offering more wildlife-viewing spaces than any expedition ship of its size.
- NEW helicopter-based excursions on Ultramarine’s two twin-engine helicopters transport small groups to remote fjords and locations other ships can’t reach.
- NEW adventure options include alpine kayaking, mountain biking, and Greenland camping.
- NEW Arctic Express Canada: The Heart of the Northwest Passage. This 9-day expedition allows your time-strapped clients to experience the great sea route that obsessed explorers for centuries. Regularly 2+ weeks.
The Viking Explorer sale is now on: save up to $4,000 per couple
Delivering savings of up to $4,000 per couple, the Viking Explorer Sale includes an extensive selection of fantastic offers, including complimentary business class flights, free economy flights, companion fly-free offers or bonus city-stay extensions.
The Explorer Sale ends 31 March 2020. Don’t let these special deals sail by!
Cruise America’s Great Lakes and save up to $1,153 per couple
The world’s most famous waterfall – Niagara Falls, the motor city of Detroit, bustling Chicago and the vast Great Lakes all feature on a new, 10-night cruise package offered by boutique American cruise company Victory Cruise Lines and Australian small ship specialists Cruise Traveller.
Australians can save up to US$800 per couple if they book the package by 31 March 2020.
P&O Cruises latest ship Pacific Adventure hits the high notes with new show Blanc de Blanc
Following a hugely successful season at the Sydney Opera House, the award-winning burlesque show of epic proportions, Blanc de Blanc, is returning Down Under to perform all year round on P&O Cruises’ latest ship, Pacific Adventure.
Fresh from a season on the Las Vegas strip, the sassy Spiegeltent production known for its Parisian glamour will be the headline act on the 3000-guest ship when it joins the P&O fleet next October.
The bold and lavish blend of high-flying aerial stunts and circus cabaret will feature a stellar line-up of international and Australian acts including Blanc de Blanc’s famously attractive French host, Maître d’ Monsieur Romeo.
Internationally-acclaimed Australian director Scott Maidment is the brains behind Blanc de Blanc and masterminded Love Riot, the exclusive show on P&O’s flagship Pacific Explorer.