The Independent Photographer, a global network of photographers, travellers and art buffs, has announced its annual 10 winners of its Travel Photographer contest with a uniquely Australian image among the finalists.
The winning photos, according to the organisers “communicate the life of a place in all its splendour, whatever the subject from street, portrait, landscape or documentary”.
A photograph of early-morning surfers at Sydney’s Bronte Beach came fifth in this year’s competition.
Here are the top 10 images, with number one taking the $US1,000 first prize…
1. Kushti wrestlers at sunset, India, shot by Sandra Morante
2. Passengers in the Bangla Rai in Bangladesh, shot by Sujon Adhikary
3. Haldi Festival, India, shot by Donell Gumiran
4. Journey of the Monks, Mandalay, Myanmar, shot by Alex Zyuzhov
5. Surfers awaiting the next wave in Bronte, Sydney, shot by Alexander Smiley
6. Folk Song, Kyoto, Japan, shot by Danielle Esposito
7. Street Vendor, Comoros Islands, shot by Djamil Kemal
8. Street Vendor, Comoros Islands, shot by Djamil Kemal
9. Saltburn Pier, Yorkshire UK, shot by Frank Lassak
10. Mondori Camaraderie, Khartoum cattle camp, South Sudan, shot by Trevor Cole