If you’re sick of paying exorbitant fees for airport parking, this might be the answer.
Major airport parking is no longer the sole option for Aussie travellers, with a new initiative known as Carhood™ kicking off as Australia’s solution to the giant airport ripoff.
Carhood offers travellers an alternative to car parking, by utilising a peer to peer car sharing community, via an online service based platform.
Over 250 members have signed up so far, with the company launching three months ago, and social media is showing plenty of support for it, including corporate alliances with the likes of FleetPartners and Adaptalift Hyster.
Co-founders of Carhood Christian Schaefer and Steve Johnson are two young guns with backgrounds in logistics, cars, and most importantly, disruptive technologies, and they have big plans to overthrow the giants of car rentals and parking industries.
“There is overwhelming market support for Carhood. We know that Australians are more than ready to embrace the war against exorbitant car parking fees,” Johnson said.
The ACCC recently revealed in a report that travellers down under pay some of the highest car parking fees in the world, with Sydney second most expensive, and Melbourne coming in third, making Carhood even more appealing.
The process goes like this:
- Drive your car to one of our airport car park locations.
- Receive free airport parking and a free car detail, regardless if your car is rented out or not.
- Carhood will then utilise your car and rent it out to another Carhood member arriving from another city, at a rate and for a time agreed with you.
- Those who hire from Carhood receive significantly reduced rental rates compared to the fees currently charged by the big four (Hertz, Thrifty, AVIS & Budget).
- Car owners earn 25% on any money earned if their vehicle is successfully rented to another member.
- All Carhood members over the age of 21 are provided with full comprehensive automotive insurance, backed by Holland Insurance Group.
“There is no question of whether or not car sharing works. It definitely works,” Schaefer said.
“Flightcar, in the US, has experienced incredible success, along with many other companies of the sharing economy. Australians are ready to rally against the giants of the car parking and rental industries, and Carhood is the solution.”