Another week, another flesh-eating parasite. This time, in the form of a hookworm.
A woman has been infected with hookworms burrowing into her skin while holidaying in Vietnam.
The 42-year-old Sunshine Coast woman said she made the shocking discovery having felt searing pain and a feeling that something was moving inside her foot.
Yes, we just said moving. inside. her. foot.
The incident happened while the unnamed victim was staying in Anh Bang Beach and the woman has described the pain as “horrific”.
According to The Daily Mail, the woman had barely stood on the sand, and believed she contracted the hookworm when she accidentally walked through animal faeces which had hookworm larvae in it.
Speaking to the ABC, the woman said: “I woke up and went ‘What is wrong with my feet?’. It was the worst feeling I have ever had, they were swollen, the most intense itching I have ever experienced in my life, swelling, my veins were poking out.”
“I had patches of pin prick-looking blisters all through my toes and that was obviously the point of entry – it was just horrific,” she said.
On top of the pain, she also said: “I could actually feel movement in my feet”.
How’s everyone doing? Should we take a quick intermission break to gather our thoughts and calm our gag reflexes?
Ok, so, back to it then.
When she finally sought medical attention and had the hookworm properly diagnosed, the woman was told the pain was to get worse before it got better.
And boy were they right.
As per The Daily Mail, while the medicine was trying to fight the hookworm, so too was the worm putting up a good fight and attempting to escape her body.
After being treated, the woman then found more track marks from the hookworm in her body, as it had tried to ‘migrate’ through her feet and legs in a frantic attempt to survive.
Some good news now.
Fast forward two weeks and she is now back in Queensland and expected to make a full recovery.