We have to admit to a little Valentine’s crush in the Travel Weekly office although it has fast become an HR and harassment issue.
TravelCube spreads the love with Valentine’s Day promotion
TravelCube is celebrating Valentine’s Day – and its enduring love of travel agents – by giving consultants a $25 voucher for every $1000 worth of bookings they make between 14 February and 13 March 2018.
TravelCube Marketing Manager Jenny Dazeley says the “love fest” is open to all Australian and New Zealand travel agents who register, with the number of vouchers calculated on total sales for the promotional period.
All of a travel agent’s bookings will be added together and then agents will be awarded $25 vouchers for every $1000 increment. There is also no maximum cap on the value of the TravelCube vouchers that can be won, so the more agents sell, the more vouchers they can earn.
All bookings must be created and paid in full before 13 March, and TravelCube Valentine’s Day vouchers will remain valid until 11 April 2018.
Hostelworld Valentines specials
While for some, a romantic break is just one expense too many, particularly after the Christmas binge. However, Hostelworld has a range of luxurious, romantic hostels you wouldn’t expect.
Connecting young travellers with hostels around the world, Hostelworld has over 9 million reviews across 35,000 properties in more than 170 countries.
Here are the top picks:
- Rambutan Townsville YHA – Townsville, Australia
- Montacute Boutique Bunkhouse – Hobart, Australia
- Caveland – Santorini, Greece
- Bangkok Bed and Bike – Bangkok, Thailand
- Generator Venice – Venice, Italy
- Happynest Inspiring Hostel – Chiang Rai, Thailand
- Lub D Cambodia Siem Reap – Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Pudak Sari Unizou Hostel – Kuta, Indonesia
- Star Hostel Taipei Main Station – Taipei
- Generator Paris – Paris, France
How to indulge your romantic side all year round in South Australia
There’s more than one way – and more than just one day – to show your loved one how much they mean to you. South Australia offers year-round romantic escapes from mountain ranges to secluded beaches and everything in between.
To fall in love:
- Soak up the beauty of K1 Winery by Geoff Hardy.
- Surround yourself in a kaleidoscope of colours at Mt Lofty Botanic Garden.
- Be swept away to Paris at the Colours Of Impressionism: Masterpieces From The Musée D’Orsay exhibition.
- Take your tastebuds on a journey of discovery at Tasting Australia.
- Blend your own wine at Jacob’s Creek in the Barossa.
To cosy up:
- Sleep under the stars in the Gawler Ranges, Eyre Peninsula.
- Hide away in luxury surrounds in the Adelaide Hills, Barossa or on Kangaroo Island.
- Cosy up in Adelaide Hills cellar doors and pubs with a glass of wine, whiskey or gin.
- Follow the foodie journey along the Epicurean Way.
- Go whale watching at some of the state’s most spectacular locations.
For love to blossom:
- Take your loved one on a stroll through the streets of Adelaide, lined with purple jacaranda trees or under the glorious Wisteria Arbour at the Adelaide Botanic Garden.
- Soar over the Anna Creek Painted Hills in South Australia’s Outback on a scenic flight.
- Visit Clare Valley, Australia’s Riesling capital and home to golden canola fields.
- Make your own cheese at Udder Delights or enjoy a retro-inspired fondue fountain.
- Captain your own houseboat, complete with a spa bath or jacuzzi on the Murray River.
To turn up the heat:
- Have a splash at the Fleurieu Peninsula‘s best coastal spots.
- Claim your own patch of beach on Kangaroo Island.
- Surf or slurp on the Eyre Peninsula, which is home to awesome swells and world-famous Coffin Bay oysters, which you can pluck and shuck yourself.
- Shack up in your very own beach love shack.
- Enjoy a ‘Fignic’ at Glen Ewin Estate after picking your own fruit in the orchard.
‘Valentime to fly’ – Tigerair Valentine’s Day sale
It’s ‘Valentime to fly’ with Tigerair’s network-wide airfare sale offering two for the price of one fares on all domestic routes commencing midday today.
The ‘2FOR1’ sale, running from midday today until midday Friday 16
February, provides value seekers with an opportunity to secure great value fares to any Australian domestic destination the airline flies to, for travel in the months of May and June this year.
To secure a ‘2FOR1’ fare to any Tigerair domestic destination, customers can simply head to tigerair.com.au and enter the promo code 2FOR1 when booking flights for travel.
Emirates gives travellers a special treat for Valentine’s Day
Emirates is celebrating with its customers on board and on the ground to mark Valentine’s Day across its global network.
To sweeten air travel during this period, Emirates is giving out heart shaped milk chocolates on all flights from Dubai on the 14th of February. The premium single origin coverture Belgium chocolate will be served alongside the main course for Economy and Business Class customers exclusively for one day only.
Cake and champagne packages are also available in Economy Class for those wanting to celebrate with their loved ones on board. Customers can choose either a vanilla or chocolate cake accompanied by a 200ml bottle of Moët et Chandon Brut NV for USD 43. The packages are available on flights from Dubai and can be pre-ordered via Emirates call centre agents.
In First Class, customers will find their goodie baskets transformed for Valentine’s Day. In addition to the usual treats of snacks and mints, a duo of heart shaped Belgian chocolates as well white chocolate coated blackcurrant-infused liquorice balls will be added for two days only from 13th February.
Your very own sandbank, private chef and band in the Maldives for Valentine’s Day Dinner – Just US$7,888
The Maldives might be the sexiest place on earth to spend Valentine’s Day. And the iconic Maldivian island Huvafen Fushi, now a 21+ only resort, just might be the best place in The Maldives for Valentine’s Day.
So how to make it even more special? Huvafen Fushi has a range of Valentine’s Day options for their guests, from a gourmet dinner under the stars, served in private cabanas set along the Stingray Beach to a full body oil massage, facial, Cristal Champagne and five course dinner watching the sea life dance about at Huvafen’s underwater spa.
But with only one sand bank available, Huvafen has only one ‘The Ultimate Dream Valentine’s Dinner’. This dinner is the ultimate Valentine’s Day treat for just one lucky couple.
Set on Huvafen’s exclusive sand bank in a romantic setting that is unparalleled; guests will enjoy a gourmet BBQ menu cooked by their private chef, Krug Rose Champagne, white and red wine, a bouquet of red roses and live band for a little mood music.
Australians say language skills are more attractive than a six-pack
Summer is synonymous with sun, surf, socialising and – in January especially – stepping up your fitness regime after the Christmas blow-out. But those thinking of making fitness their top goal for 2018 might want to think again: A new global survey by Babbel, the world’s top-grossing language learning app, and premium dating site EliteSingles, reveals that for Australians, fitness and looks aren’t as important as language and personality.
Nearly all (98 per cent) the respondents said they would prefer to date a partner with foreign language and conversational skills over one with a six-pack.
Anyone who’s already got rock-hard abs should fear not – a quarter would take body over mind for just one date. So, while all that hard work may not have been in vain, just make sure you have the personality to back it up if you want to land a second date. The survey of 6,000 Babbel and EliteSingles users shows that personality (53 per cent) tops the list of attractive qualities in a partner, followed by intelligence then appearance.
Say “I do” in one of London’s most intimate wedding venues
The Milestone Hotel & Residences situated in London’s Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, overlooking Kensington Palace and the manicured Gardens, now boasts one of London’s most intimate wedding venues, The Oratory. In celebration of all things love this Valentine’s Day and the two royal weddings of the Queen’s grandchildren, it is only fitting that Kensington’s best hotel should celebrate their unions by creating its own ‘Royal Wedding” opportunity for its guests.
Originally built in the 1800s, The Milestone is comprised of two grand mansion houses. The Oratory was the private chapel for residents of one of these houses, and the venue has retained all of the original historic features including sweeping arches, a vaulted ceiling, ornate windows and the original Victorian marble flooring. The Milestone is now licensed for civil ceremonies, and the historic Oratory space is available to host wedding parties of up to eight people.
The Victorian elegance of The Milestone effortlessly lends itself to hosting wedding ceremonies and receptions. The hotel is adorned with unique artwork, fine ornaments and antiques which celebrate the hotel’s history. Newly-wed couples and wedding parties wishing to stay at the hotel can enjoy a memorable night in one of The Milestone’s newly refurbished suites.
Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley | Valentine’s Day offerring
Emirates One&Only’s Wolgan Valley’s, Valentine’s Day offering includes The Ultimate Valentine’s Picnic, Chocolate Master Class, The Ultimate Proposal and a Couple’s Retreat Spa Treatment.
- The Ultimate Valentine’s Picnic
(Available Monday 12th – Sunday 18th February)
Enjoy the epitome of romance with your loved one by experiencing the Ultimate Valentine’s Day Picnic.
- Chocolate Master Class
(Available Saturday 17th December)
Join Deniz Karaca, the renowned pastry chef, Chocolatier and Founder of Cuvée Chocolate in a deliciously decadent Chocolate Master Class where you are treated to professionally selected artisan chocolates accompanied by specially crafted complementary wine.
- The Ultimate Proposal
(Available 1st – 28th February)
To celebrate the month of February, surprise your loved one with the Ultimate Proposal in the Greater Blue Mountains at Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley.
- Couple’s Retreat Spa Treatment
(Available in February)
Alternatively if you are a couple that enjoys pampering and relaxation, then the Couples Retreat Spa Treatment is for you.
Plan a break up instead this Valentine’s Day
Scoot in encouraging young Australian’s to break up with the “same old same old” this year and to celebrate Valentine’s Day with something and/or someone new, with a sale brimming full of possibilities to help break old travel habits.
Break out a sweat in Langkawi from $129 one way or break the bank with a shopping trip to Hong Kong from $169. Break into a tantalising Zorba dance with fares to Athens from $319 or break into a rhythmic mantra in the cool of Chiang Mai with fares from $179.
Only valid for travel from 10th March till 27th October 2018, so be quick to get in to book and break up with your old habits. Scoot is also giving Aussies a chance to break free and also win a ticket to a mystery destination via a Facebook competition starting February 15!
Love is in the air for British Airways customers
To celebrate Valentine’s Day, British Airways is adding a romantic touch to its inflight entertainment with the introduction of a new category – Love is in the Air.
Running until the end of February, the category plays host to a collection of films, TV shows and audio programmes, all with a romantic theme. This includes classics like When Harry Met Sally, Chocolat and Love Me Tender, as well as more recent releases like Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool.
As part of its extensive range of TV shows, British Airways is also adding some love-themed episodes from famous series, including Friends – The One with Candy Hearts, Modern Family – Do You Believe in Magic, and select episodes of Sex and the City.
Finally, the Valentine’s Day range is complemented by poems and excerpts from the likes of William Shakespeare, Robert Burns, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, Thomas Hardy, William Wordsworth, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and David Herbert Lawrence, while actor Michael Sheen reads: A Lover’s Gift from Him to Her.
X2 Chiang Mai Riverside Resort invites guests to create their own personal love story with a month of romantic experiences
X2 Chiang Mai Riverside, the luxury boutique resort nestled on the banks of the Ping River, is celebrating the “Month of Love” with a series of romantic inspirations throughout February, including an exquisite Valentine’s Day dinner.
Couples seeking the ultimate romantic getaway can enjoy a sunset cruise with bubbles on the Ping River, energising couples’ massage and body treatments at the resort’s tranquil X2 Spa, and a series of special dining experiences, either at the acclaimed Oxygen Dining Room or in the resort’s serene lawned and landscaped gardens, shaded by a parade of ancient towering tamarind trees.
For Valentine’s Day itself, French executive chef, Alexandre Demard has created the ultimate sensual dining experience with a special “Love Story” set dinner for two at Oxygen Dining Room. This enticing five-course meal includes delectable dishes that are designed to ignite passions, including oyster jelly caviar, scallop tartare, foie gras, lobster and an indulgent chocolate sphere for dessert.
Speak florally with Babbel this Valentine’s Day
What’s even more romantic than choosing the right type of flower for your partner this Valentine’s Day? Choosing the right meaning behind your bouquet!
Language learning app Babbel, wants to help you send the right message this Feb 14th with floriography – the language of flowers – by helping you understand the traditional meanings of some of the most popular blooms around the world – for example:
- Rose – The poster-flower of Valentine’s Day. With a deep red flower and thorns, the rose symbolises romantic love and the blood of Christ. A pink flower represents a lesser affection, white stands for virtue and chastity, and yellow for friendship, well wishes or, in the Victorian era, infidelity. If you want to send a different message, the black rose symbolises death and black magic.
- Orchid – The exotic form of the orchid often invokes associations with sensuality, which is why the Ancient Greeks considered it a symbol of virility.
- Lavender – The ‘herb of love’, said to reduce stress in the body and increase the blood flow. Of all the aphrodisiac flowers, lavender has been proven to be the most effective! Unfortunately, fresh flowers are not likely to be available on Valentine’s Day, but it’s worth keeping in mind for the summer!